28 February 2007

Is it because i am Black (in 1969)?

I fell in love with the voice of this guy. All the pain of the world, of the oppressed human condition, lies in those notes. And, as usual with gifted blues artists, your heart is aching ( right now, i am thinking of The sky is crying, performed by the late Stevie Ray Vaughan) when you hear someone asking "Is it because i am Black?" (that so many died in New Orleans, for example?).

Little by little, i am getting in touch again with the music i used to love. And the blues was, is actually, my first true passion. When i was 17, i plucked up the courage to go to the Oldies but Goodies shop, and ask, with a voice my adviser could hardly hear: "I'd like an only-piano blues cd". And the guy gave me the Memphis Slim and Roosevelt Sykes magnificent conversation (i am not at home, i can't remember its name right now).

This is the only disc that has been saved from the curious decision that i took one day: to sell ALL my blues and gospel collection to a friend, who is the owner of a music shop. "dialag, are you really really sure you want to sell all this?" "Yeah, i need some fresh air". I sold the whole package (maybe 100 cd's) and today the sky is crying.... A+

No comments: